Monday, April 16, 2012

Wet N Wild "Baking a Cake" Palette

Hello again!

I had hoped to post this several days ago, but I'm quickly learning how much time blogging takes! :-)

As I mentioned in my previous post, I purchased two of the Wet N Wild Limited Edition Coloricon holiday palettes. Today I will be reviewing the second of those two, the "Baking a Cake" palette.






As with the Wet N Wild "Baked, Not Fried" palette, the colors in this palette have a nice, shimmery finish. The main reason I purchased this palette was for that gorgeous hot pink in the lower right corner! Sadly, it turned out to be the most disappointing color in the palette, as you'll see in the swatches below.

Applied dry with no primer


See what I mean? :-(

The hot pink in the lower right corner had a very chalky and gritty texture with poor pigmentation. Regardless of how much or how little shadow I applied, or how much I attempted to smooth it over, the swatch still came out uneven. Luckily, the rest of the shadows in the palette were much better. They all had a smooth application with a fair amount of pigmentation and shimmer. The shimmer eyeliner included in the kit also had a very smooth application! 

Applied dry over a primer

Even better over a primer! Surprisingly, the hot pink had a much smoother application when applied over a primer. It was still noticeably grittier than the other shadows, but it looks much better than the first swatch. Maybe it just doesn't play well without a primer? We'll see how it holds up when applied wet over a primer. 

Applied wet over a primer
What is that?!

Seriously...what is that?? Please feel free to click on the picture to see the image enlarged and look at how terrible that hot pink looks!

It looks even worse than when it was applied dry with no primer, haha.

I was hoping that a wet application would somewhat smooth out the gritty texture of the hot pink shadow and make it a bit more manageable. Clearly it didn't and only made the uneven application much more visible. As you can see, the rest of the shadows applied very evenly and the colors are much bolder! 

I figured that I would give the wet application another try with the hot pink. Maybe applying the color very lightly and building it up slowly would help? Can you tell how much I really wanted to like this pink? :-) Come on optimism!

Re-applied hot pink wet over a primer

Well...it's a little bit better, but there were still uneven patches and chunks of shadow that would not smooth out.

Close up of the hot pink
The solid chunks are much more visible in this picture. Who wants that mess sitting on their eyelids? Not me!

Oh well, you can't say that I didn't try to make that pink work! :-)

Unfortunately, since the main shadow that I had admired so much in the pan turned out to be so disappointing on the skin, I will say that I probably could have lived without this palette. The other 5 colors are nice, but they are not colors that I can see myself wearing very often. When I purchased this palette, along with the "Baked, Not Fried" palette, There was a sale for buy one, get one half off. So overall, I only paid about $2.50 for this palette. I guess it's not the biggest loss in the world :-). I'll definitely have to play around with the colors a bit more to see what I can come up with!

Thanks for reading!

Aurora


No comments:

Post a Comment